V Knits

My name is Venus. I knit as much as possible, while juggling work and various other activities. Currently, my yarn sprees hinder my ability to save up for trips and other important things. But I'm not apologizing.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Socktoberfest Personal History (A linky post)

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

My first attempt at socks was in July 2005, which was unsuccessful but funny. My first successful attempt was in August 2005. I taught myself from a pattern out of a magazine. I really didn't love knitting socks at first but I have come around! I do love knitting them now. I think this is from some trial and error. I have now found a comfy sock knitting niche.


What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

See July 2005 as mentioned above. No holding up since my first pair are unwearable due to gross difference in size.


What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

Plain acrylic seems to be just fine for everyday socks, but I really like the feel of merino superwash wool. Alpaca which is a personal favorite are very decadent when knitted into socks. Almost excessive in the pampering, definitely not everyday wear but a nice treat. I have yet to find a tried and true brand of yarn, I haven't knit enough socks to know yet!


Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

DPNS! Bamboo preferably. I haven't tried crocheting socks. Or the other methods mentioned. But I really like how dpns seem threatening to other people when I am using them on public transit. Makes me feel safe.


Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

The first few socks I knit were heel flaps (because that is what the pattern called for.) Then I discovered the magic and ease that is the short-row heel. I love, love, love short-row heels. No picking up stitches for this knitter! My ideal sock anatomy is toe up ( started with short-rows), short-row heel and cast off right at the ankles. My curvaceous calves make it hard for socks to either fit over them, or to stay up. I have knit a pair that do fit, They fit really well actually, but with shortie socks there is no danger of socks falling down.


How many pairs have you made?

Seven. With plans for many more. What with it being Socktoberfest. Also, I have just been killed in Sock Wars.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I've never knit alpaca socks, they sound absolutely decadent.

Heading into 3bagsfull for 1pm today.

10/15/2006 9:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home