V Knits

My name is Venus. I knit as much as possible, while juggling work and various other activities. Currently, my yarn sprees hinder my ability to save up for trips and other important things. But I'm not apologizing.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

New rug & new shirt

New crocheted rug for the bathroom!

This rug has been a long time WIP. Ever since we'd painted our bathroom I'd been meaning to make a new rug to match. Now, finally it is done. I'd scrapped the original idea I'd had because seriously, who wants to do many laborious bullion stitches for plumpness when you can do easy, sexy little single crochets with 3 strands of yarn for sturdiness? Much more practical I think!

~Specs~

Pattern:
I made it up. I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. Basically I made a chain to the length I wanted and single crocheted until I'd reached the desired width. Then I single crocheted around the entire thing for edging, finished by threading through around the entire edge to help the rug keep it's shape. Voila!

Yarn:
Bernat Handicrafter Cotton - 100% cotton /2.5 balls @ 340g

Needles:
10.00mm plastic crochet hook

Pros:
Easy and quick.

Cons:
The rug does not fit under the door when it swings open or close. Doh! Also, the edges of the rug were all rippled and loosey goosey until I threaded through the edge with leftover yarn.


My new tank top!


Love, love, love this shirt! In a frenzy of inspiration I whipped this baby up. I used one of my Fella's old shirts and a pair of lacy underwear that I had never worn but had kept around... which I can now justify!

Here is the how-to:

1) Using one of my well-fitting tank tops as a template I pinned the outline on the old shirt.
2)I cut following the outline, (though I free-handed the neckline, eek!) unpinned, turned the cut shirt inside out and pinned sides to be sewn.
3)Sewed up sides with a straight stitch then went over again with a zigzag for reinforcement.
4)Cut up lacy underwear and pinned around neckline on wrong side. Sewed on lace with straight stitch.
5)Went around back of neck line with straight stitch for reinforcement.
6)Sewed on ties at top of shoulder with zigzag stitch. Gathered fabric at shoulder and tied ties.

Honestly, this is one of the most comfortable shirts I own now.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Divinity said...

Hehehe, I was going to post something naughty about you flaunting your assets under the guise of displaying your new shirt but... oh, wait, I just did! :P
Beautiful projects! And I love the bath mat - isn't it great when projects are lovely and useful too?
I've got some crochet patterns you're welcome to as I seem more likely to put out an eye with my hooks... I'll stick to my knitting for the time being! Let me know which work location to drop them off at/send them to. Cheers!

6/05/2007 2:57 p.m.  
Blogger Divinity said...

I'm at Kits every Monday evening so if I can get my act together, I'll throw the patterns in an envelope and send it through delivery.
My knitting blog is still at: www.divineknits.blogspot.com
but sadly, sadly neglected for the most part these days...

6/05/2007 4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Angela said...

OK - that t-shirt is WAAAAY too cute.

I may have to copy you :)

6/07/2007 2:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home