V Knits

My name is Venus. I knit as much as possible, while juggling work and various other activities. Currently, my yarn sprees hinder my ability to save up for trips and other important things. But I'm not apologizing.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Illusionist Shawl









Gorgeous, gorgeous yarn from Alchemy called Haiku. (40% silk/60% mohair) It's the only non-itchy mohair I have ever experienced. This is a sample for Urban Yarns in color 112c - Secret Agent Blue. I didn't realize at the time when I chose the color but it matches a dress I already own! I love it when things work out like that. Now if I only had somewhere to wear the dress....

Go on and be seduced by the delicious yarn, but I will warn you! This pattern is epic in the sense that it takes for freakin' ever. It's 1300yds (4 skeins) of slippery yarn (I knit these on Addi Turbos, do NOT do this. For sanity's sake, please use bamboo or Addi Lace needles!) and at times rows have up to 520sts. I have knit entire sweaters in half the time that this shawl took. The pattern for the Illusionist Shawl can be found in the book Destination Alchemy. You do end up using almost all of the yarn (I had maybe a 5th left from the last skein) but if you wanted you could easily halve the pattern to make a scarf, though I think the size of the shawl makes it more versatile.

Anyway, I LOVE the results, I recommend going with the Haiku and though I love the shawl now I'm never knitting it again. =)


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger a said...

This is super beautiful, Venus. I have it in mind to start a sweater--when I get to Montreal. I was at a market yesterday--a gigantic market--and got stuck at a stall selling all sorts of yarn and sewing ingredients. Unfortunately, I have to go to a proper shop if I want yarn that isn't acrylic. That and it's EXPENSIVE! I think I'm going to start a yarn-of-the-month club with my mother--you know, she wants to clean out her crawl space, so she can send me yarn every month. I'm like that.

I started a shawl once, with a lace bell pattern. I think it's in a plastic bag somewhere at my mother's house. The last time I saw it was 2004, when I was into buying old sweaters and taking them apart to re-knit. Don't ask, for pity's sake, don't ask!

3/21/2010 4:13 a.m.  
Blogger Christine said...

Beautiful! I love how versatile it is, and how soft it looks. Pretty dress too! I don't have nearly enough fancy frocks. Or enough events for wearing them.

Alissa - I just sent my mom a sweater to take apart and reknit! lol. It's gorgeous wool, but was made (I suspect) in the 80s so the shape is less than flattering. I think she was going to pass it on to a knitter friend. From now on I will keep you and Venus in mind when discarding sweaters.

3/26/2010 1:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home