V Knits

My name is Venus. I knit as much as possible, while juggling work and various other activities. Currently, my yarn sprees hinder my ability to save up for trips and other important things. But I'm not apologizing.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Blocking and My Teacup Spindle

Here's a quick shot of my scarf being blocked. In a somewhat unconventional way, but what can I say, I like to be resourseful.



Hopefully today I will get a chance to pick up more material to put together a new hand spindle. The one I have right now is also an unconventional/resourseful creation. I'd like something a little bit lighter, and not made out of a teacup stand. Oh wait I have a story about that.

A few months ago I had taken a spinning class that taught spinning on the wheel and the hand spindle. I couldn't (and still can't) afford a wheel so I was going to purchase a hand spindle. I came across a teacup holder and converted that into my current spindle. My boyfriend, never having seen a hand spindle before, assumed that I had created the thing, idea and all out of my own fantastic imagination. (In retrospect, how sweet of him to think I had the brains to invent something like that.) About a week ago, he comes home from working at the library. He tells me that he saw an old spinning book and flipped through it to see if I'd like to read it. What would he come across but...gasp! A hand spindle! He was so excited. " It was just like the one you made! It had the little hook and everything! Can you believe it?" I hadn't realized that what he meant when he said that my teacup spindle was a good idea, he meant the whole idea of the spindle. I told him that people had been spinning like that since way back when.

1 Comments:

Blogger yuvee said...

That's a cute story!! I like your knitting, great job!

7/02/2005 7:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home